Indoor Air Quality
Today, new homes are well sealed and insulated. This makes them energy efficient, but the minimal airflow could cause uncomfortable air conditions inside as the same air is continuously re-circulated throughout your home. This recirculation can disrupt your home’s humidity balance and even cause damage from mold. Rest easy, though, because Air Today Heating & Cooling in Plano can help you have the best of both worlds: an energy-efficient home that is also comfortable!
A continuous flow of fresh air is key. Minimize health-threatening pollutants and make your home as comfortable as possible by ensuring a constant flow of fresh air. You could open windows, but that only works in nice weather. Also, open windows can let more allergens into your home. So what is the answer? A whole home ventilation system mixes fresh outside air in with your conditioned air.
Controlling humidity can improve your comfort and health.
We recommend keeping your home’s relative humidity levels between 30% and 60% for your best comfort and health. Watch out for these signs that your home is too humid:
- Consistently damp areas
- Musty odors
- Condensation stains on the ceiling
- Condensation or frost on windows
- Sticky or clammy feeling in the air
- Peeling wallpaper
- You have to run your air conditioner more to maintain a comfortable environment
- You can also run into problems with your health and home when the air is too dry. During the winter, indoor relative humidity can be as dry as some of the world’s driest deserts. If you notice any of these symptoms, the humidity in your home could be too low:
- Recurring allergies or respiratory illnesses
- Scratchy, sore throat or excessive cough
- Dry, irritated nasal passages
- Dry, itchy skin
- Chapped lips
- Static shocks
- Cracked, peeling wallpaper
- Warped or cracked wood
- Damage to household furnishings
So, what can you do if your home has a humidity problem? Call Air Today Heating & Cooling in Plano at 972-881-1919. We’ve got dehumidifiers and humidifiers that will help ensure your home is a comfortable home.
Allergies and Other Health Problems in Plano could be a Result of Poor Air Quality
Would you consider your home to be healthy? It’s possible it’s not as healthy as you think. Imperceptable particles and chemicals floating through your home’s air may cause headaches and allergy flare-ups. And mold and mildew could cause a variety of health problems.
How can I prevent indoor air quality problems?
Lucky for us all, avoiding indoor air quality problems can be relatively easy. Just try these ideas:
- Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among nonsmokers, according to estimates from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Test your home for radon. Go to www.epa.gov to find out more information and to see if your state provides free or discounted test kits to the public.
- You should have carbon monoxide alarms set up by all sleeping areas.
- Make sure your home remains smoke free.
- Dust mites can irritate allergies and asthma, particularly in children. To get rid of them, keep your home clean. While even regular cleaning can’t get rid of all dust problems, you can minimize them by using a whole-home filtration system with a MERV 16 rating, the highest capture efficiency among air cleaners.
- Anything that burns gas should be vented to the outdoors.
- Don’t use scented candles or aerosol sprays to cover up odors. It’s better to find the source of the odor and get rid it.
- hobby products, paints and cleaning supplies should be low- or no-VOC (volatile organic compound), which are safer for your family and the environment. Ozone is a known lung irritant, so you should also avoid using products that produce it.
- You can help keep humidity levels comfortable using a humidifier or a dehumidifier, depending on your climate. Maintain humidity under 50% to prevent mold and mildew buildup.
- Fix all leaks and cracks in your home.
- Make sure your home is properly ventilated, to avoid moisture problems. With a ventilation system, stale, contaminated indoor air is replaced with fresher outside air.
Having your HVAC equipment inspected to significantly reduce buildup of contaminants or moisture is one more easy way to keep your home healthy. You can call Air Today Heating & Cooling in Plano at 972-881-1919.